Chocolate Mochi Cake with Cherry Glaze (Paleo, AIP option)
A delicious Chocolate Mochi Cake with Cherry Glaze that can be made into a ghoulish Halloween dessert.
1/2 cup Honey
1/2 cup Water or Black Cherry Juice (not from concentrate)
3 teaspoons Arrowroot Powder
1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1 teaspoon Red Beet Powder
1 tablespoon Palm Shortening
2 cups Beth Blends Grain Free Flour Blend
1 cup Coconut Sugar
1/2 cups Cocoa Powder (3/4 cups Carob Powder)
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
2 large Eggs
1 can 14 oz cups full-fat Coconut Milk
1/2 cup Pumpkin Puree
2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
To make the Cherry Glaze
To make the Chocolate Mochi Cake
To make your cherry glaze, combine all the ingredients for the glaze into a small saucepan over medium low heat. Stir to combine.
Bring to a boil. Let boil for about 30 seconds or the liquid has thickened slightly.
Remove from the heat immediately. Set aside and let cool completely before frosting cake.
To make the cake, preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
Grease the edges of an 8-inch cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
Add all the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix.
Next add all the wet ingredients to the bowl and stir together until combined.
Pour the batter into the cake pan and cook for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Once the cake has completely cooled, assemble the cake by frosting the cake and then adding the cherry glaze.
- To make AIP, omit eggs and increase pumpkin to 1 cup. And then cook for 45 minutes.
- The cherry glaze can also be used as ‘edible fake blood’ made without cornstarch.
- The cherry glaze should thicken slightly as it cools. It should be thick but still pourable.
- If you are looking for an AIP, Paleo or Vegan Vanilla Frosting try this one.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder is a good substitute for vanilla extract.
- If you don’t have beet powder, you could use food coloring.
- The cherry glaze is optional.
- Water is an ok substitution for the cherry juice, but it won’t have the cherry flavor. It would be more of a simple syrup flavor.